Media + Hot Jams
August 31, 2015
Life, death, taxes…music? There are very few universal truths in life, but I’m adding in music because this is my blog and I can. At home, in the car, live, strutting down the block – music is anywhere and everywhere. There are very few things better than when your favorite artist drops a new album, and alternatively very few things are more frustrating than when one of your faves teases some new jams, only to not deliver (I’m looking squarely at you, Frank Ocean. How dare you tweet out #july2015 and then not drop an album. Channel Orange came out in 2012….I’m waiting, impatiently.). Life at Norbella HQ is no different – music is instrumental in the day-to-day happenings of this bustling media shop, proudly broadcasted out loud for any and all to hear.
One of the best things about coming to Norbella every day is knowing there is always going to be a constant stream of hot jams playing throughout the office. Based on the small and statistically insignificant survey of my inner circle of college friends, not many companies give their employees (almost) free rein of what is played throughout the office. Well, Norbella does. And with the recent office expansion (peep this, you shan’t be disappointed) the office is now split in half meaning there is 2x the fire coming out of the speakers. It’s almost too much to handle….almost.
But who decides on what to listen to?
Such a fun game we like to play over here at Norbella. I like to think of my taste in music as eclectic (read: all over the board, sometimes wildly aggressive, not for everyone) thus can get down with anything*, but not everyone is as easy to please as yours truly (“HA!” – everyone at Norbella, collectively). Different tastes in music throughout the office causes the occasional power struggle over who gets to control the tunes. As a way to play nice in the sandbox and to combat any potential battle royales that may commence during work hours, we’ve devised a master playlist where everyone gets input. Problem solved: everyone is happy at some point in the day (and potentially miz at other points).
The rules of the playlist:
What’s life without a few rules? Rules keep people in order, keep the world moving, and keep people in a constant state of confusion and frustration when they don’t make sense/aren’t fair. Such is life, y’all. Deal with it.
- Every person can select up to two artists, but can pick one (or none) if so inclined.
- Nothing is off limits, within reason. I’m a huge fan of how liberally Nicki Minaj raps about her assets, or how comfortable Eminem is when discussing his true feelings about both his ex-wife and mother, but this is a place of employment, folks.
- If you pick an artist that’s already been picked, try again. No one likes a copycat – be a leader and let your freak flag fly.
- The playlist isn’t the end-all, be-all. Sometimes you come in on a Friday and need the mood to be a little more subdued, if you catch my drift. Other playlists are allowed.
- If you don’t like it, put in some damn headphones and rock out with your bad self.
- If the majority doesn’t like your selection, you will be ridiculed. This ain’t a judgement free zone.
So what do y’all actually listen to?
Because I’m a man of the people, you all get two playlists today: what us Norbellians are spinning on a daily basis and my personal favorite jams for crushing the cube. As my coworkers can attest, I like to make everything about myself, which is really why you’re getting my playlist as well. You’re welcome.
Norbella Playlist (covering as much crowd pleasing music as possible in a ten song list):
- Notorious B.I.G. – Juicy
- Fleetwood Mac – Landslide (any Fleetwood song would work, but Landslide is my personal favorite)
- NKOTB – Step by Step
- Taylor Swift – Bad Blood
- Oasis – Wonderwall
- Dave Matthews Band – Two Step
- Mark Ronson/Bruno Mars – Uptown Funk
- ODB/Kelis – Got Your Money
- TLC – Waterfalls
- Aerosmith – Dream On
Nate’s Cube Crushing Playlist (solely focused my #1…me):
- Kanye West/Jay-Z/Rick Ross/Nicki Minaj/Bon Iver – Monster
- Klingande – Jubel
- Mac Miller/Pharrell – Onaroll
- Thirty Seconds to Mars/Afrojack – Do or Die
- Lil Debbie – Ratchets
- Frank Ocean – Novacane
- Rihanna/Slash – Rockstar 101
- Positive K – I Got A Man
- Wilson Phillips – Hold On (judge on, haters)
- Kanye West – Black Skinhead
Apparently Kayne is the only person who loves Kanye more than I do, judging by him being the one artist to make multiple entries on my list. He would be so proud. Actually, I take that back. He would only be content if all ten entries belonged to him.
Until next time friends….
*The one exception to this is country music – I do not have time for your twangy, broken-hearted, drunk-on-the-back-of-a-truck shenanigans.