Media + Hot Jams (Holiday Edition)
December 16, 2015
Hey, what’s up, hello…GUESS WHO’S BACK?
I’m not sure how it happened, but the powers that be at Norbella are allowing me to share my thoughts to the world again. I was certain that the absurdness brought forth this summer would have me banned for life, but alas, here I am again (Seriously, I thought it was getting sent straight to the trash and that maybe I’d be getting fired). Because the initial music post was such a hit, I have been asked to remix it and hit you with some new knowledge.
Based on the time of year and the fact that you’ve already been #blessed with the timeless playlists of Norbella HQ, the focus is going to be centered on hot holiday jams. Similar to your last journey into my mind, you’re about to consume a carefully curated list of bangers to use at your next holiday party. Grandma and Aunt Becky will be super into it, I promise. I’m also a giving person, so you’ll be getting rules for playing holiday music and a music-themed Christmas wish list (mine, of course). Just call me Nathan Claus.
Let’s get one thing out of the way right from the drop before we start with the aforementioned lists: I love the holiday season. Every damn thing about it. I’m talking the parties, time spent with family and friends, decorations, the tree, lights, presents… I love it all. Having recently swapped Boston for the San Diego sun, I’m even looking forward to some Christmas-appropriate weather, and maybe even some snow (that’s a strong maybe right there). This love of all things holidays also applies to the tunes that come along with it – I love me some Christmas jams. Don’t get me wrong, there are some that I could live without, but for the most part I am all about it. With this is mind, the obvious choice was to focus the list to under-the-radar (read: obscure) jams you may have overlooked when creating your playlist.
One last note before getting into that good good: this isn’t Buzzfeed. You won’t have a handy Spotify playlist at the bottom – stop being lazy and find them on your own.
Nate’s Rules for Holiday Music Listening:
- Music WILL NOT start prior to Thanksgiving. One holiday at a time, people. Let me enjoy my turkey in peace.
- If it’s on the rotation at your local mall, it’s probably not on the list. I get it, Mariah has voice of an angel, but I’m pretty ok with hearing ‘All I Want for Christmas Is You’ just a couple of times. Fun fact: I don’t make it to the mall all that often (hello, Amazon) so I could be wrong with some of these songs.
- Not all Christmas songs are created equal. Example: Wham!’s ‘Last Christmas’. I think I speak for the collective whole when asking who thought it would be a good idea to give synth-heavy 80’s band freedom to make holiday music. Your song is terrible and your name is Felicia. BYE.
- Get some culture – it doesn’t have to be all Christmas. The chosen brethren have come up with some pretty snazzy tunes of their own throughout the year. Get educated and get familiar.
Nate Leach Presents Nate Leach’s Holiday Bangers…
- Ludacris – Ludacrismas
- The Darkness – Christmas Time (The video is EVERYTHING)
- Whitney Houston – The Christmas Song
- Sam Smith – Have Yourself A Merry Little Christmas (Side note: this is an instant classic)
- Fetty Wap & Monty – Merry Xmas
- Lady Gaga – Christmas Tree
- Kanye West, Pusha T, Cam’ron & Big Sean – Christmas in Harlem* (An ode to Run DMC’s ‘Christmas in Hollis, either would work here)
- Destiny’s Child – 8 Days of Christmas (Real group name: Queen B and the Backup Singers)
- The Killers – Don’t Shoot Me Santa Claus
- Amy Winehouse – I Saw Mommy Kissing Santa Claus (Another angelic voice, RIP boo)
And because I like you all so much, I’ll even give you a bonus track…
- Chris Brown – This Christmas
Nate’s Christmas Music Wish List:
- A Sam Smith** and Adele Christmas collaboration. Let’s be real, these two would make angel babies with their sweet voices, sell a billion copies, and make everyone cry.
- To be invited into Taylor Swift’s squad, not that I have any of the prerequisite skills needed (i.e. singer, actor, supermodel).
- For Rihanna and Frank Ocean to release their respective albums. Seriously, Frank – it’s been almost 4 years now, and RihRih stop teasing and just drop ANTI already. (Side bar: I’d also be ok with a collaboration album here)
- A Grammy for flawless coverage of the music industry in blog form. Yes, I am aware it is not a real category. No, I do not care.
- A million dollars….wait, that’s not music related. Oh well, it’s my blog.
Happy Holidays Y’all.
* It wouldn’t be a Nate Leach original blog without some Kayne love. The man is a genius…and also an awful human.
**You’ll see that Sam Smith has been mentioned twice. It should be known that I have an (un)healthy obsession with Sam Smith and think everything he produces is perfection.